How much do you know about your spouse? Seems like a crazy question, since, you know, you're married and all. But you'd be surprised at how much more there is to know! After 20+ years of marriage, I feel like I might just have my Associate's Degree when it comes to knowing my lovely wife, my perfect gift from God, Sherry.
The great thing is, it's never too late to learn. I'm hoping that by the time we're celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary, I'll have earned my Master's Degree in Sherry.
We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'." ~ from the movie "Shall We Dance"
Here are 30 questions to ask to deepen your knowledge of the person you're supposed to be closest to...
One caveat: Don't sit down and run this like an interrogation, take your time. You might need months or even years to talk about all the things listed below and you might even come up with some additional questions of your own. That's ok, married life is a journey. Enjoy the ride.
Plan a date night (morning, lunch, coffee) this weekend. Maybe it's as simple as sitting in the park together or lounging in a hammock together. Check out some date night ideas from DATE NIGHT! Choose five questions to ask your spouse, ask your spouse to choose five questions to ask you and then share with each other during your date night.
1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrasing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. What's the most courageous thing you've ever done? You can't say you've never done anything courageous.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misundertand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.
EXTRA CREDIT: For an extra bonus, husbands, stop over to 10 Questions For Your Wife. Read them and choose one to ask her. Pray before you ask and receive her answer well!
Got questions to share? Let us know!
Whether your marriage needs a tune up or an overhaul, REGISTER today!!
Intentionally Yours is a 501(c)3 (pending) organization committed to sharing God's truth, hope and vision for marriage until every home is a godly home. Will you partner with us in this mission? Thank you for your support!